The Old Point Loma Lighthouse at Cabrillo NM was built in 1854 on land that stood 422 feet above sea level, overlooking San Diego Bay and the Pacific Ocean. In clear weather mariners could see its light 39 miles out to sea. The problem was that fog and low clouds often obscured the light. On March 23, 1891, the lamp was extinguished for the last time, when a new station at the bottom of the hill opened. Luckily for us, the Old Lighthouse has been preserved.