It is so beautiful here! Rocky coastlines and lots of green. Jeff's sister, her hubby and two boys live here. We came to visit, along with Jeff's parents from Tucson, and aunts from Albuquerque, and to help celebrate Jeff's Dad's birthday.
Our first tourist stop was the Portland Head Lighthouse, just south of Portland in Cape Elizabeth at Fort Williams Park.
In 1787, the General Court of Massachusetts (the Massachusetts legislature) provided $750 to begin construction of a lighthouse. In 1790, when the United States Government took over the responsibility of all lighthouses, Congress appropriated $1,500 for its completion. The original tower measured 72' from base to lantern deck and was lit with 16 whale oil lamps. It was first lit on January 10, 1791.